At times we can find our dog's behaviour puzzling or troublesome, this can have a huge impact on our lives, the lives of the family and even society as a whole. A behavioural consultation will help you to understand your dog's behaviour and provide you with the information and practical skills to modify the unacceptable behaviour. (See below for a list of common behaviour problems)
Depending on the issue a Veterinary referral may be required prior to starting. This is to ensure that medical factors that could be affecting the problem are known and can be treated appropriately. It may be the case that the problem does not have a behavioural component and is entirely caused by medical reasons and therefore can be treated by your vet. I will happily liaise directly with your Vet to ensure they are kept informed and, where necessary, are part of the behaviour treatment and modification process.
An initial consult lasts around 2hrs where a full behavioural history will be taken and in conjunction with the veterinary history a personalised plan is formulated. I will coach you and your dog through how to carry out the training and depending on the issue, you may need to have a number of follow-up consultations, however you are under no obligation.
As a canine behaviour specialist, the techniques we use to change your dog's behaviour are based on a scientific understanding of animal behaviour while utilising positive reinforcement based training methods. Changing a dog's behaviour will take time, but we will work together to find the most practical way to fit this into your life and achieve the best possible outcome.
I only work with a small number of clients at a time to ensure I can provide you with an excellent service. I am proud to be recognised for achieving positive outcomes for both pet and owner.
To far away or no professional trainers nearby? Many behaviour problems can be worked on remotely using modern technology and so I am able to work with clients and accept referrals from veterinary practices nationwide.
Common behaviour problems include:
House soiling and indoor urine marking
Handling problems when being groomed or during veterinary examination
Dog to dog problems
Barking at home, on walks or in the car
Food or object guarding
Noise phobias and sound sensitivity
Initial 1-1 Behaviour consultation - From £150.00* for 2 hours.
The initial consult includes:
- Meeting either in person or remotely to gather information and answer any questions you may have.
- An overview of the full behaviour modification plan, plus the initial steps for you to follow.
- A report for your Veterinarian should you require one.
- Any additional handouts, supplied during the consultation and advice for any equipment required.
- Receipt for insurance claims and/or assist completion of insurance claim form, if applicable
- Up to 30 minutes of follow-up advice by telephone, Skype or email.
- Very often the initial consultation report is sufficient to manage your dogs behaviour and provide the foundation skills required to move forward. Based on the consultation and nature of the problem, further sessions and support may be necessary, this will be discussed with you at the time, if additional 1-1 sessions are recommended these may be purchased at £60.00** per hour thereafter - additional travel costs may apply depending on location.
* For travel times in excess of 1 hour from Winslow (Bucks) 1-1 Behaviour Consults in your home from £180.00 for 2 hours
** For travel times in excess of 1 hour from Winslow (Bucks) additional 1-1 sessions in your home from £80.00 per hour.
Sometimes all you need is some good reliable advice and this service may be ideal for you.
Telephone, FaceTime or Skype with Nick - up to 30 minutes of advice for only £30